Tift County was created in 1905 by an act of the Georgia General Assembly and is named in honor of Henry Harding Tift. In 1872, Mr. Tift purchased approximately 65,000 acres of virgin pine timberland and established a sawmill and a village for its workers. In 1888, various major railways intersected near Tift's mill and lead to the incorporation of Tifton in 1890.
Tift County has deep roots in modern agriculture, but is still considered to be a transportation hub. Interstate 75, U.S. Highway 82 and U.S. Highway 319 all intersect in Tift County.
Our Mission is:
To provide the most professional and efficient service delivery possible for the citizens of Tift County while striving to meet the changing needs of the community through:
TIFT COUNTY GOVERNMENTAL OFFICES WILL BE CLOSED ON